Monday, October 22, 2012

My first day in the desert

I'm in a temporary leave from work. I wasn't fired, I'm coming back next week. They said, I needed a vacation. Since I was looking stress out, especially having those two other incidents. Well, it's for my health, I guess. Sitting alone in this big place, I started thinking about my past. My first day of being deployed.

 I remembered the feeling of being stuck in that plane. Feeling the heat inside that hunk of metal. Sweating, feeling uncomfortable. Knowing that I'm no longer home, the feeling of being miles and miles away. Thinking of what I left behind, I remember thinking about a girl, I used to date. What would I say when I come back. If I come back, would I be the same person she fall in love with? Small things are always precious, sometimes we just take it for granted.

Then that uneasy feeling when you know after  you get out of that plane, you are walking into, simply  putting it, hell. At least, the training teaches you to hold your emotion in check. But that uneasy feeling it almost hard to shake it off. It always buzzes in the back of your head. I meet up with my CO, to have our orders.

I felted relief when I found out, we are only setting camp that day. No insurrections today. No storming a village, just setting up. Which it's weird really, but I prefer not to question it. I started to talked to the other fellow members of my squad. Knowing their ambitions, their desires. We talked all day.

Nice group of fellows, some maybe out of their minds, but still reliable. Hmm, is like we slowly become this weird, demented family. I talked about Candle Cove to them. Of course, they never heard of it. I explained to them, how is about pirates trying to capture inspiration. They thought that was a cool concept, that I should write it. Since they don't believe it truly existed. Now that  I think about it, my recollection of people remembering Candle Cove was either in my childhood and now. At least, if I remembered correctly.

The next day was a different story. My first mission or my first real orders. I don't know if I should even mentioned it. Maybe another day. I will say one thing though, the night sky in the desert, it's one of the most beautiful thing you could ever see. Hmm, nirvana if it wasn't for the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment